Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Moment

We've been having trouble sleeping.

This past week, Sofia has been screaming bloody murder for hours. She doesn't want my breast, the bottle, or her pacifier. I thought it might be colic or reflux but it isn't. I finally concluded that she's tired but is just too stubborn to sleep.

Like mother, like daughter.

Anyway, this goes on for hours.

Last night I was feeling exhausted. I caught some kind of throat bug and was praying she could sleep.

Nope.

Scream


By 5 am, I had tried everything to get her to sleep. Walking, rocking, pushing her in her pram, singing, cuddling, etc.
I finally just picked her up and put her on my lap and had her facing to the left. She stopped crying, looked around for a bit, turned to face me, and once the light caught my face we made eye contact. All of a sudden her face went soft.

She recognized me.

She then gave me the most wonderful smile, and as I smiled back my eyes flooded with tears.

There really is a satisfaction I can't explain when your baby smiles at you. And I'm not afraid to admit it.

She went back to crying when she realized I was still gonna try to put her to sleep, but that moment made the next hour more bearable.

Motherhood really is all its chalked up to be. For me anyway.

No comments: